Auto Club Speedway… Under The Lights will be IZOD IndyCar Series’ 2012 Season Finale
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY, Calif. (Feb. 24, 2012) – As if having the prestigious IZOD IndyCar Series return to Auto Club Speedway for the first time in seven years wasn’t enough good news for Southern California open-wheel race fans, here’s something else to celebrate. The September 15, 2012 under the lights extravaganza will be the finale of the series’ 16-race season.
“We already have record speeds, world-class drivers and the history and tradition of open-wheel racing at Auto Club Speedway,” said track president Gillian Zucker. “Now add ‘season finale’ to our resume. All those ingredients make this track, which has arguably hosted some of the most exciting races in INDYCAR history, the place to be in September.”
The thrill, excitement and speed of the IZOD IndyCar Series season will conclude the 2012 season at Auto Club Speedway where the world speed record for the fastest lap of 241.428 mph was set in 2000 – and still stands today.
The stars of the series, which includes 2011 Series Champion Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves and Scott Dixon along with high-profile owners Roger Penske, Chip Ganassi, A.J. Foyt and Bobby Rahal will visit Southern California’s premier motorsports facility with the intense competition, high-energy show scheduled to be run at night under the lights.
Tickets for the highly anticipated event are on sale now. Ticket pricing is as follows: Reserved Club area $60; Reserved $50; General Admission $30; Kids 12 and under free in General Admission with Lefty’s Kids Club membership and camping packages are available from $255 to $330.
Visit www.autoclubspeedway.com/indycar and subscribe to the Speedway’s monthly newsletter to receive exclusive offers and other updates as they become available.
Sam Hornish Jr. won the Inaugural IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway in 2002 in an exciting finish that saw him beat Jaques Lazier across the finish line by a mere 0.0281 seconds. The series continued to run at Auto Club Speedway through 2005 and provided race fans with speed and excitement each time it visited the speedway. Some of those highlights include:
• October 28, 2000: During qualifying, Gil de Ferran set the track record for fastest lap at 241.428 mph (388.541 km/h). This was also a world speed record for the fastest lap of a closed course.
• March 24, 2002: Sam Hornish Jr. wins the first IndyCar Series race at Auto Club Speedway by 0.0281 seconds over Jaques Lazier.
• November 3, 2002: Jimmy Vasser won the final 500 mile race in CART/Champ Car (now defunct) history. The race also set the track record (at the time) for average race speed at 197.995 mph (318.642 km/h).
• September 20, 2003: IndyCar Series qualifying record set – (one lap): Helio Castroneves, 226.757 mph (364.930 km/h).
• September 21, 2003: During the IndyCar Series race (Toyota Indy 400), Sam Hornish, Jr. set the track record for fastest average speed during a race at 207.151 mph (333.377 km/h). This is still the current track record.
To purchase tickets to see the IZOD IndyCar Series return to Auto Club Speedway, call 800-944-RACE (7223) or visit www.autoclubspeedway.com.