Lefty to Unveil His Own Fun Zone During NASCAR’s Auto Club 400 Weekend
Auto Club Speedway mascot revels Lefty’s Fun Zone Friday, March 23 at 12:30 p.m.PT
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY, Calif. (March 19, 2012) – He’s overseen every display that has been prepared. He’s taste-tested every apple slice and chicken nugget on the menu at Woodie’s. Heck, he’s even hammered in a nail or two. He’s looked over this Auto Club Speedway project like it’s been his own. And with good reason … it is! He’s Lefty!
As part of its industry-leading youth initiative program, Auto Club Speedway will introduce Lefty’s Fun Zone on Friday, March 23 at 12:30 p.m. in the DiscoverIE FanZone. With the help of NASCAR driver David Gilliland, Speedway President Gillian Zucker, Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson), Tillman (the skateboarding bulldog from “Who Let the Dogs Out” on Animal Planet) and of course plenty of kids, Lefty will unveil his weekend domain as the Auto Club 400 Weekend kicks off.
Lefty’s Fun Zone will offer kids and their families everything from hands on educational programs like the Math & Science of NASCAR displays to kid favorite activities like Bubble Rollers, a Pinewood Derby and photo opportunities with some of the best NASCAR drivers around when they were kids!
During the past few months, all hands (especially Lefty’s) were on deck to get Lefty’s Fun Zone ready for the Auto Club 400 weekend. And after lots of sweat and hard work, he’s ready to prove without a doubt that Auto Club Speedway race weekends are fun-filled and educational for the whole family.
As you make your way to Lefty’s Fun Zone, be sure to visit Lefty’s Pit Stops located throughout the DiscoverIE FanZone:
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 1: Everyone’s a winner at Lefty’s Fun Zone! So make sure to take your photo in the Gatorade Victory Lane cutout display.
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 2 & 4: With Math and Science being such an integral part of NASCAR racing, see how Auto Club Speedway’s 14 degree banking and Daytona International Speedway’s 31 degree banking measure up against each other.
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 3: Go where no fan has gone before! If you were standing at Turn 3 during the Auto Club 400, this is what you’d see. It’s a great photo opportunity that captures it all!
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 5: Here’s your chance to wave the green and checkered flag at the kid sized version of the Auto Club Speedway Flag Stand.
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 6: Take a seat and snap a few photos in Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s No. 88 National Guard Chevrolet. Well actually, it’s a pint size, cut out version of the No.88!
• Lefty’s Pit Stop 7: Kids, start your engines! Visit Lefty’s Pit Stop 7 and take a seat in an actual go cart and check out photos of NASCAR drivers Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Juan Pablo Montoya when they were kids racing their way to the top!
So, just what can you expect when you visit Lefty’s Fun Zone?
• Lefty’s Fun Zone Ribbon Cutting Ceremony with Lefty, NASCAR driver David Gilliland, Auto Club Speedway President Gillian Zucker, Nancy Cartwright and lots of kids on Friday, March 23 at 12:30 p.m.
• NASCAR Driver Appearances? Yes! Marcos Ambrose, driver of the No. 9 MAC Tools Ford will be at Lefty’s Fun Zone for a Q&A session on Saturday, March 24 at 11 a.m.
• The Discovery Science Center will be on board to test the boundaries of science. Explore the science of speed using Newton’s Laws of motion, air resistance, combustion and more.
• Check in at Lefty’s Garage to find out all the fun-filled activities that Lefty’s Fun Zone has to offer.
• Want hands on? How about face painting, get a funky hairdo or try your hand at a Pinewood Derby.
• Ready to get your Zumba on? Don’t miss this Latin dance inspired fitness party that will get kids and their families off their feet!
• Kids Merchandise? Got it. Tee-shirts and hats adorned with Lefty himself and his crew.
• Hungry? Head over to Woodie’s. He’s Lefty’s Crew Chief and he also makes a mean meal. Lefty’s Chicken Nuggets, Tito Carrito’s Cheeseburger Sliders, Iggi Spark’s Grilled Cheese, Coach’s Mini Corn dogs, Cotton Candy, Apple Slices, Popcorn and French Fries. Mmmmmm.
The only way to get into Lefty’s Fun Zone to experience all the fun is to purchase a ticket to NASCAR’s Auto Club 400 Weekend at Auto Club Speedway. Tickets start as low as $30 and AAA members receive Show Your Card & Save discounts, including a special section with half-priced tickets for kids 12 and under. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.autoclubspeedway.com, visit the Auto Club Speedway Ticket office at 9300 Cherry Ave., Fontana, CA 92335 or call (800) 944-RACE (7223).
# # #
About Auto Club Speedway: Auto Club 400 tickets start at $30 and AAA members receive Show Your Card & Save discounts, including a special section with half-priced tickets for kids 12 and under. In addition to 5-wide racing, free parking, unbelievable menu items and a full weekend of entertainment, live music and fun await fans in the Speedway’s DiscoverIE FanZone. And don’t forget children 12 and under can sign up for the FREE Auto Club Speedway Lefty’s Kids Club membership to receive FREE admission on Friday and Saturday. For more information or to purchase tickets, call 1-800-944-RACE (7223) or visit www.autoclubspeedway.com. For more information on event lodging, visit the Hilton Garden Inn, Fontana, the official hotel partner of Auto Club Speedway.