Hard to Choose Auto Club 400 Weekend’s Top Moment
FONTANA, Calif. (March 24, 2014) – Was it Kyle Busch winning his second straight Auto Club 400 in dramatic fashion over rookie Kyle Larson? Was it for the first time since 2005, Auto Club Speedway proudly announced a sellout – proving Southern California race fans are the best in motorsports? Was it the antics of The Great Gonzo during pre-race reminding the world’s fastest drivers that the California speed limit was 70MPH? Was it the Blue Angels signature flyover – their only flyover at a sporting event in 2014?
Whatever the reason, there’s no denying that the 2014 Auto Club 400 Weekend at Auto Club Speedway is one to be remembered.
• Nick P.: ‘Awesome turnout wow.’
• Jeff Gordon…‘it was fun to have such a good car this weekend and a great crowd at Auto Club Speedway.’
• Andy M.: ‘BEST. RACE. EVER.’
• Q4G: …‘there is one hell of a nice crowd here today. And they are getting a good show.’
• FOX Sports: ‘Huge thank you to the @BlueAngels for today's incredible flyover!’
In the Media Center
• Kyle Busch: ‘What an awesome race this track produced two days in a row.’
In the End, on Track
• Sunday, Kyle Busch’s dominance continued as the defending NASCAR Sprint Cup Auto Club 400 champion took home the checkered flag once again. The win for Busch, who held the lead twice and started 14th, was his third career win at Fontana. While on Saturday, Kyle Larson and his growing fan base got a little bit bigger as the California native and 21-year-old held off a late-race charge by fellow Californian Kevin Harvick and Busch to win his first NASCAR NNS race at the TREATMYCLOT.COM 300.
In the Sky
• The world renowned pride of the Navy and Marine Corps, United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, performed a flyover of epic proportions to the start the Auto Club 400 and Team Fastrax, America’s Skydiving Team, performed its renowned patriotic aerial flag display above Auto Club Speedway prior to the green flag.
And on the Ground
• The Great Gonzo warned drivers to “keep it at 70MPH”, critically acclaimed singer Pia Toscano sang her heart out with a rendition of God Bless America and the National Anthem (as she secretly rooted for Jimmie Johnson), Mindy Kaling of the Mindy Project, (gave Gonzo a kiss for good luck and promised ‘no swerving’ behind the wheel) paced the field as the Official Pace Car Driver and Olympic skier Bode Miller, traded in his skis for a green flag as honorary starter.
Expect the same type of excitement when the World’s Fastest Drivers return to INDYCAR’s fastest track at the MAVTV 500 INDYCAR World Championships, August 29-30 at Auto Club Speedway. To experience race weekend, call 800-944-RACE (7223) or visit www.autoclubspeedway.com for more information.
# # #
About Auto Club Speedway: Located 50 miles east of Los Angeles in Fontana, California, Auto Club Speedway is California’s premier motorsports facility, hosting over 320 days of track activity each year including the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 400 weekend and the MAVTV 500 INDYCAR World Championships Finale weekend in August. The two-mile D-shaped oval is one of the fastest tracks on the INDYCAR and NASCAR circuits. The Speedway is also home to numerous movies, television and commercial productions, photo shoots, new car testing, club racing and a variety of racing schools. For more information on events at Auto Club Speedway call 1-800-944-RACE (7223) or visit www.autoclubspeedway.com. For information on event lodging, visit the Hilton Garden Inn, Fontana, the official hotel partner of Auto Club Speedway and Auto Club Dragway.