FONTANA, CA – Nov. 22, 2016 — Southern California’s Hometown hero Jimmie Johnson of El Cajon captured his record-tying seventh NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship with a stirring victory Sunday at Homestead-Miami Speedway, tying NASCAR Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt atop the all-time list.
Sunday’s win was Johnson’s 80th career victory. To win the 2016 championship, the driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet outdueled the other Championship 4 drivers Joey Logano (fourth), Kyle Busch (sixth) and Carl Edwards (34th) at Homestead.-Miami.
It was a year of sevens for Johnson, who took over sole possession of seventh place on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series all-time wins list after his win at Auto Club Speedway earlier this season. His wins at Atlanta and Auto Club Speedway catapulted him into the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
Celebrate Jimmie and Auto Club Speedway’s ‘20th Anniversary Reunion’ by purchasing tickets to March 26th’s Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway. Special ticket packages are available, including hometown hero Jimmie Johnson’s Foundation Ticket Package.
Jimmie Johnson Foundation Ticket Package includes:
A reserved grandstand ticket (rows 14-23) to the Auto Club 400; scanner rental; pre-race pit pass; exclusive Q&A session.
Early bird pricing $119. ($20 from each ticket package will be donated to the Jimmie Johnson Foundation)
- AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY INVITES RACE FANS TO DAYTONA 500 VIEWING PARTY
- SOCAL NASCAR CUP SERIES CHAMPION JIMMIE JOHNSON TO MAKE FINAL FULL-TIME START AT AUTO CLUB 400
- COUNTDOWN TO NASCAR AUTO CLUB 400 RACE INCLUDES FREE VICTORY LANE PASSES AND NO SERVICES
- SECURE OFFICIAL TRAVEL PACKAGE TO THE 2020 AUTO CLUB 400 THROUGH PRIMESPORT
- BIG AL’S IN ONTARIO TO HOST NASCAR CHAMPIONSHIP VIEWING PARTY